Category:Burials at Tewkesbury Abbey
Tewkesbury Abbey has been a centre for worship since the 7th century, becoming a priory in the 10th. The present building was started in the early 12th century. It is heavily associated with the de Clare family. There are many burials of the de Clare family at Tewkesbury Abbey as well as many other Medieval English Nobles including Edward Plantagenet, Prince of Wales. It was unsuccessfully used as a sanctuary in the Wars of the Roses. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries it became the parish church for the town. George Gilbert Scott led Restoration in the late 19th century. The church and churchyard within the abbey precincts includes tombs and memorials to many of the aristocracy of the area. The Main Abbey Churchyard was closed with effect from 01 February 1857, and from then onwards the majority of burials are in the town cemetery. The Vicar does have the authority, however, to grant internment of cremated ashes at the Abbey.
Pages in category "Burials at Tewkesbury Abbey"
The following 6 pages are in this category, out of 6 total.